Etharia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinland Exploration

+4
Noremacia
Vault
Quetzalcohuātl
Kanadorika
8 posters

Go down

Edinland Exploration Empty Edinland Exploration

Post by Kanadorika Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:18 am

This thread is for posts pertaining to the claims and exploration of Edinland.
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

https://etharia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Edinland Exploration Empty Re: Edinland Exploration

Post by Kanadorika Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:25 am

Journal of Captain Taneli Varmi, IKN
Spoiler:

Edinland Exploration F8G7lnG

November 29, 1910
Steinveggur, Viktoria

We set off to much fanfare within Steinveggur. The night before had been one of drinking in the local pub, carousing with the locals and engaging in the lively activities expected from those who would be leaving civilization behind to seek out adventure in the dangerous crevasses of the continent of Edinland. It wasn't my first time on the continent, indeed I had travelled to Edinland in the past and explored the coastal regions. This expedition was something I had looked forward too since the first time I set sight on the ice sheets of the southern continent. Indeed, being the first human to reach the south pole was something I craved with the intensity that a man quenched of thirst would reach for a sip of water.

Leaving Steinveggur behind fills me with the upmost joy. I have nothing against the town. It is pleasant enough with a polite population which wished me well on my crew's endeavors. But Steinveggur isn't Edinland, even if it is likely the closest city in the world to the continent. Steinveggur, with its abnormally clean sidewalks and the smiling demeanors of streetgoers felt particularity sterile. Of course growing up in the urban jungle of Piispa Henrik made me accustomed to the idea that cities were filthy. Steinveggur by comparison didn't feel organic. It was an artificial town with no obvious faults or flaws.

As I sit writing this entry, our ship, the HKS Nýuppgøtvun, is steaming for the island of Nýttýgask. My crew is equally as restless as I am, and the five of us are finding it difficult to commit to falling asleep. Nýttýgask was several days away, even with the sails unfurled. The ship was rather slow, but given it was almost 30 years old and was built as a northern Eyjanic sailing ship, it was the best vessel available for exploring the Antarctic. Even still, it was a rustic thing. I write this by oil lamplight, given that electric lighting is unheard of aboard the HKS Nýuppgøtvun.

The pitching of the ship is splendidly relaxing. Creaking wood resonates through my cabin like a majestic symphony played by the Venesian Orchestra. Perhaps falling asleep wouldn't be as difficult as I imagined.

I must retire to my bunk. I cannot miss this opportunity to catch my sleep before our trek across the barren wastes of Edinland.
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

https://etharia.forumotion.com

Aotaruo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Edinland Exploration Empty That time Galavaria was seaworthy

Post by Vault Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:28 pm

If one thing has been overlooked when studying Galavarian history, it would be the naval exploits undertaken by the landlocked nation. This would be in most part due to the fact that fielding a navy for a landlocked nation is a near impossible task. One of the rare occurrences when the nation successfully managed to conduct naval operations is quite the tale. It all started under the rule of King Erich Wolff, or more accurately, his wife Catherine. While Erich would busy himself with military parades and defense spending, Catherine would seek foriegn pleasures. Constantly taking trips abroad, Catherine would become fascinated with sea travel. This did not bother her husband as much as it should have, as he was too busy preparing for what would turn into the Moldajov border war. Her son, and heir to the throne Reinhold, would grow to shun her for this. This would in turn help shape the isolationist policies his rule would become known for. She would take her daughter Ida and youngest child Maximilian on most of these trips as a result, which would spark a desire to travel in them at a young age. By the turn of the century, with Reinhold busy studying at the royal college, Ida began floating the idea to the Grand Chamber of funding a research expedition. Seeing this for what it was, a blatant excuse for her to use the royal coffers to travel, she was laughed out of the building. Fortunately for her, she had brought the young Maximilian with her. After the discovery of Edinland by Kanadorika, he would use this blatant disrespect to the royal family to get funding for an expedition to the new lands. The problem for the young prince was where and how he would acquire the transport and crew to mount the expedition.

Maximilian would spend the better part of three years abroad looking for any nation willing to sell an expedition to the landlocked nation. Eventually, he would find luck in a Kanadorikan whaling company. The ship was modest, the crew was experienced, and at the age of 27, Maximilian Wolff set out to sea to find the icelands at the end of the world. He would bring with him his sister Ida, 30, and 8 bodyguards. Along with a small science team and a seemingly never ending supply of booze, if Kanadorikan accounts are to be believed. First taking a train on the Varbrook - Frankdorf railway. From there, a ferry took the party to a coastal town in Kanadorika. Setting off on a beautiful Spring morning on May 5th, 1913, they would travel along the coast to gather provisions and see the sights beforing leaving Eporan entirely on May 15th. The journey would take 38 days and nights, just after sunrise on the 39th day the landmass of Edinland would be spotted by the crows nest. Logs recovered from the crew describing the Galavarians as incredibly annoying during the trip. An insistence of stopping for the science team to conduct experiments and for photos to be taken soon became a huge inconvenience for the crew. Drunkenness from the Galavarians was also noted as a challenge on the journey south. Once they had made landfall, the science team got to work and the Royal pair suffered through several freezing photo ops. They spent a grand total of 8 days on the new lands, culminating in a pathetically small ceremony. The ceremony was to place down a monument claiming a portion of the lands in the name of the kingdom, and the attendees included only the Galaviarian members of the crew. It’s not as though the other members were not invited, it is that they elected to not show up. The historical record would reflect an aversion to being subjected to the freezing temperatures for the strange passengers to finish their ceremony. Delivering the proceedings was a sickly Ida Wolff, who had caught some strange illness some 3 days into landfall. At the end of it, a small plaque was placed into the icy ground, with a flagpole flying the royal crest behind it. Ida would not make the return trip, and historians would attribute her death to Pneumonia. The new claimed province by the kingdom therefore would bear her name. The province would go largely unused for most of the 20th century, with the structure built on the frozen hell being christened in 1960. It was a small research station for two years, before it was expanded by a governmental project. At its face, it was a scientific initiative. Behind closed doors, the research station was being used in a limited capacity to study whether or not a nuclear launch facility could be built and maintained there. This program would go from 1963 to 1994, when it was seemingly canceled. In 1983, several annexes were built for the station. This was for a planned military training facilitate to help train Galavaria's special forces. It was planned to be expanded in 1991, but this was canceled due to a lack of need for conventional forces to have experience in such an extreme environment. It has never publicly been disclosed if nuclear weapons were ever stored there, or if the station was ever used for anything beyond its stated purposes.
Vault
Vault

Aotaruo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Edinland Exploration Empty Noremacian Expedition to the South Pole - Part 1/4 - "Sparking the idea"

Post by Noremacia Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 am

The Ledger of Captain Krøn Haftstead
(Archived in the Noremacia National Library)

Captains log: 14/06/1906

Today we embarked on a journey. By no means one of leisure and ease but one of honour, duty and pride. Myself and my crew here departed Dyanus for Brautarhólmur. With the wind in our sails it looks like a storm may be brewing on the horizon. No matter. I have braved many a storm in my vast travels. Helna, our first mate here aboard the Tørju is excellent in the face of peril. I will write again once happening upon Brautarhólmur.

Captains log : 18/06/1906

In regards to my last entry, scratch it from the record. Never have I seen such towering terrors. The waves carved the sides of the hull like butter. I have lost half my crew, Helna included. I add only now to bring update to our situation. We are barely holding on as we pass though the last of the storm. Not off course, but tested, as if by god himself. There is no hope we can make it to the North Pole now this winter. We must return to Noremacia for vital repairs once the storms seas have passed. I would complete the majority of the repairs tomorrow in Brautarhólmur, however, the coffers are not at their fullest. A patch job will buy us the time to limp home. I have many friends in Heinhelm that will be able to help with the repairs, and I will admit it has been some time since I went home to mama. With that I shall go. Wish us luck. Praise god for coming out of that storm with our lives.

Captains Log: Around Christmas 06’

I have today received news of a Kanadorikan party readying an expedition that would bear us to the North Pole. Taneli Varmi was certainly a captain not shy of danger. With the full funding and support of the empire, we were surely now the underdogs. I had planned on embarking by May, once the winter ice caps had started to recede. The question is whether the ship will be ready in time. Most of the hull is repaired, however ice proofing, masting and sails all still need to be procured.  The chase is on

Captains log: 04/04/ 1907

I have received a telegram from Captain Varmi himself. Almost a taunt. It reads

Captain Varmi wrote:“Dearest friend, Captain Haftstead. It appears that we are once again at neck and neck with each other. However this time it is a shame that I will be the one to first make this journey. We embark in a month and by what I have heard through the grapevine, your ship is still barely seaworthy. Ha. Farewell. Cpt. Varmi”

The gall of that man. Tis true that the Trøju is still without masts or sails strong enough to withstand the chilly Arctic blasts. But this is a test. We must embark before Varmi and his rapscallion crew of korki’s (Colloquial but not derogatory Noremacian term for a Kanadorikan not unlike yank or brit).

Captains log: 13/04/ 1907

I have today procured a mast and sail that may withstand the winter winds. It is being attached now, and we aim to set sail on the turn of the month. Varmi, I’ll beat you there. Mark my words

Captains log: 01/05/1907

As we hoist the sails and leave Heinhelm on the stern horizon. We make haste to Kjamorkubær. Our last port of call before the Arctic ice shelf. My crew and I are wary of the attempts of last year and the one in one hundred year storm we encountered. We have rightly decided to travel on a more northerly trajectory. Although colder, these waters should be calmer. However we must travel agains the tide. I will write again from Kjamorkubær.

Captains log: 06/05/1907

It appears the Kanadorikan party is right on schedule. Typical punctuality from those Korki’s. By local mail stations their party left around the same time ours did. Which would make them maybe two days ahead of us. There seems to be calm weather all around. Our first task from here is to venture north east and follow the Ice shelf to as north as it will go. Hopefully we will catch Varmi there. To those reading this log. Wish us Godspeed.

Captains log: 17/05/1907

Both a sight for sore eyes and a kick in the teeth. We today reached Chæns inlet, our northernmost mapped point and closest access to the North Pole, only to find the Nyuppgetvun moored there. By the ice that had formed around its hull I would estimate that they had been here for already 4 to 5 days. It would take a minimum of 10 days to reach the pole. This puts us at a grave disadvantage. However. The crew that stayed with the Nyuppgetvun welcomed us with open arms. And we shared tales of our expeditions over firelight. Tomorrow we will embark for the pole.

Captains log: 20/05/1907

Never have I felt such icy cold. My heart burns with a beating pain. I can feel my blood coursing through my veins, warming my skin from the inside. We encountered a snowstorm this afternoon and were forced to make camp. It had been steady going until now. However it also means Varmi probably had to make camp too. I will attempt to make further headway once the storm has passed.

Captains log: 22/05/1907

We camp tonight after another day of good headway. We came across a broken canteen today, branded with the iconic insignia of the Kanadorikan navy. We were following the path Varmi must have taken. It gave the men hope and courage to see that we were too on the right path. Maybe we could catch them after all.

Captains log: 23/05/1907

Today we came across the largest polar bear I have ever lain eyes on. It must have been 12 feet tall. Yosern tried to get out of its path but couldn’t make it in time. He was a brave soul and a dear friend. He was perhaps best known for his daring nature, always the first to act, and his boundless chivalry. He will be missed by all. The rest of us ran and hid whilst the monstrous bear went about its way. We also lost two of the dogs to the creature. After it had left, satisfied with its meal. We made short headway and settled a camp for the night. By my calculations, we were close.

Captains log: 27/05/1907

It is with great pleasure that I write this log. We are on top of the world. I true fear for mankind. Unfortunately we missed the Kanadorikan party by just two days. Here, they planted a Kanadorikan flag, and a small wooden plaque with the date and names of the party. Two days. We missed them by two days. The men are overjoyed by the achievement, however overshadowed by our defeat in the race. Interestingly we hadn’t come across the Kanadorikan party leaving the pole. They must have disembarked the pole on another route to which they entered. That is enough from me tonight. I am to celebrate with my crew. We truly deserve it. “Vast” (Noremacian toast or cheers)

Captains log: 07/06/1907

We arrived back at the Trøju and Nyuppgøtvun to find Varmi and his party waiting for us. I would have to say that the encounter was at first tense, but then warm. We were blessed with generally great weather for the trek, and both parties were in high spirits. We sang and partied and drank around a bonfire, celebrating our triumph, paying our respects to Yosern, and speculating at the grand scheme of tacking the South Pole. But they may have been just the drunken ramblings of two very mad, very proud men.
Noremacia
Noremacia

Aotaruo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Edinland Exploration Empty Noremacian Expedition to the South Pole - Part 2/4 - "What even is Edinland?"

Post by Noremacia Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:07 am

The Ledger of Captain Krøn Haftstead
(Archived in the Noremacia National Library)

Captains log: 25/10/1909

Call us crazy, but the race was on once again. Tales of our success and n the North had spread far and wide. Mankind had truly tackled the Arctic, with the news spreading all over Etharia. And what started as a celebratory start on the edge of the Arctic two years ago, fuelled once a mad rivalry between myself and Varmi. Our eyes and hearts now set on the elusive South Pole, the heart of Edinland, and bottom of the world. On the turn of the tides we set sail from here in Athena, to Din Thi Di in Ezhara. Our Khawsian friends there will aid us with supplies as we embark for Nyttygask, and from there. The Edinland ice shelf. Wish us luck.

Captains log: 22/12/1910

I sit here in a tavern in Din Thi Di, me look around at the people here. So vast in cultural practices and beliefs. Ezhara may be one of the most eclectic places on Etharia. We are docked here, awaiting supplies from friends in Woroshire. I also await news on Varmi’s location. Winter in the South Pole is the opposite to in the north, occurring in the months of June to August. If we were to make a journey it would need to be in the next month or in the following summer. We are well equiped, following our success from our previous endeavour in the north, the Noremacian and Keaa Governments backed our next venture, With a sister ship(The Hâll), much money and supplies. On the hope that the Kanadorikan’s weren’t ready this summer either, I plan to spend the next year exploring the southern oceans, circumnavigating Edinland, mapping it’s coast, and evaluating where to approach the pole from. The South Pole is vastly more remote than the North. At current estimations, instead of 10 days, it would take almost 3 weeks to reach this pole.

I have just received news that Varmi is in Viktoria preparing his ship and crew. Why yes. This should make for an interesting race indeed.

Captains log: 18/01/1911 (pink)

Embarking from Din Thi Di, stocked with supplies, the Trøju and Hâll make way towards the remote southern Kanadorikan islands. The plan is to use the end of this summer to scour for a best landing place. The rest of autumn and winter will be used to circumnavigate Edinland. The plan is for the Hâll to travel east and the Trøju to travel west, and meet up on the other side of Edinland, before travelling north to Aotaruo. After that, we will decide where to make land on Edinland in summer. Captain Reilii is at the helm the Hâll and I will remain captain of the Trøju. We will meet up and compare sites of landing.

Captains log: 30/01/1911 (red and green)

This morning our two ships set sail from the Kanadorikan islands, hoping to catch the end of summer to map the continental borders. Still waiting alongside the Hâll, we head south for Edinland. I am both excited and nervous to see the continent for the first time. The weather is fair, however bringing colder as we head south.

Captains log: 01/02/1911 (red)

As this morning the captain Reilii and I set off in opposite directions, it is ever more apparent to me how critical the timing of this expedition will be. It is only the first of February and the winds are cold and lifeless. It’s comparable to a summer in the Arctic. We have seen Penguins and orcas in bounds, however as we venture to more remote sections of Edinland I am sure we will see less.

Captains log: 16/02/1911 (red)

We passed by today, a vast ice shelf. We seemed to be some ways south. This may be a good place to base our expedition from, however we will confer with the Hâll in Aotarua and before, and we will see aswell what the rest of our journey has in stall.

Captains log: 06/03/1911

The winds were bitter, unforgiving and deadly now. Nothing to note for the last three weeks, besides a snow flurry here or there. By calculation, we should be nearing encounter of the Hâll any day now.

Captains log: 07/03/1911

We today paralleled another massive ice shelf. This one bugger than the last, coming quite far up north. The ice was starting to freeze up and the ship was having some troubles in the night and early hours of the morning. However we managed to get her going again. We set up camp on the ice shelf.

Captains log: 08/03/1911

Setting off again after breaking ice off the hull this morning we set sail for some distance away from the growing shelf. Then around midday we saw the Hâll, much closer to the ice shelf than us. They looked stuck in the ice. And indeed they were. As we moved closer we got a look at the damage to the ship. It had been weathered harshly, flaky wood of the hull exposed, depleting its ice proofing. We rounded back and set anchor on the ice shelf. We walked across the ice to meet them there, taking with us our i e breaking equipment. As I write this from my tent, it s icy cold, however it looks like we are getting the ship free. Reilii and I shared our maps and charts, and speculated briefly at some entry points to Edinland. There were two top contenders, at the two large ice shelf’s on opposite sides of Edinland. As neither of our teams had seen each other’s side we would have to decide which side to mount our expedition on based on as many pure facts about the spots as possible. We hope to have the Hâll out within a day or two, we should be able to make it to Ósfjördur, Aotaruo on one piece, that is, given the weather and winds favour the Hâll.

Captains log: 12/03/1911

I write to report our progress, pulling the Hâll out of the ice two nights prior, we pulled away from Edinland and head due North. Ósfjördur is by estimation, 3 weeks away. The men are tired, cold, and running low in moral. Even in these early Autumn months, this land, this white plane, is an icy hell that I wouldn’t wish upon Varmi himself.

Captains log: 07/04/1911

We have arrived in Ósfjördur. In the early hours of the morning, the Trøju and the Hâll pottered into the port city of Aotaruo. We were greeted by open arms as the locals marvelled over our now debatable sea worthy vessels. As the crew ecstatically settled in to the local inn, and those inclined descended on the local brothel, I followed my heart’s true pang to the tavern. As I sat by the fireplace and felt the hearth of a stone walled fire that I had so missed for the last months, I sat and sipped on some premium Kanadorikan vodka, basking internally at our triumph in circumnavigating and mapping the Edinlandic coast. None of the others had wanted to join me, so I sat alone in the quiet pub. ‘Twas then a strange event, when the door burst open and a scruffy middle aged man stumbled in. Not drunk, I think he was more exhausted. It was however in the wee hours of the morning. He was a distinctly chatty fellow, striking up cnnversation with just about everyone in the room. As he made his way around the tavern tables he almost did a double take in seeing me. It was after all, about as far from Noremacia, a Noremacian could possibly be, and perhaps even the first Normac (Noremacian colloquial term for a Noremacian) he had ever seen. In stunned silence, he stepped towards me and I remember him muttering the Uber used, by warranted, “You’re not from around here” in Kanadorikan. I remember chuckling a little, and before I could reply tot he man, he was sitting across from me. As he proved me with questions of my homeland, I got the odd one in here or there. His name was Ísak Lórensson, 44 years of age, he came from rural fishing village on the outskirts of Ōtepoti. He was also fascinated by my journey of late. As we drank more, we got to know each other, regaling stories of both of our navy days, and as the sun rose outside I offered him to take a look at our ships. We laughed about their dodgy condition, but more importantly, he asked to join us. At first I throughly it a little strange, for him, a family man, to leave his family on a perilous quest for nothing but honour and some small fame, but I didn’t question his reasons. I liked the man for gods sake, what was I to tell him, “no”? So the next morning, as the crew began to emerge, and we talked about the repairs that would need to be undertaken, I introduced Ísak to the crew. He looked happy, and I liked happy people. He will surely make an invaluable member of our crew.

Captains log: 18/07/1911

After three and a half months, the crew had grown fond of Ósfjördur. It had a certain charm, that was slightly out of the ordinary for a Kanadorikan city. The people here were friendly for one. Maybe it was their pluckier colonial upbringing. Besides the point, I got to brush up on my Kanadorikan, that was again quite rusty. Tomorrow, We set off for Viktoria. Being winter it would have to be a faster journey, as the winter would be colder than our first pass, but we also wish to map the extent of the ice in winter on our journey. We are to head south, and decidedly clockwise, west to east around Edinland, following the side the Trøju passed on because it was the fastest to Viktoria, and because after much deliberation, we had decided that it would be the side we would mount the expedition on. I will write again from the icy shores of the winter Edinland ice shelf.

Captains log:02/08/1911

‘Twas a cold and icy night. The Trøju and Hâll sailed in tow. An eerie calm had slowed the ships as we made our passage through the moonlight. A few days of unusually warm weather had started to melt some of the ice caps back a little, causing some cracking, but nothing major.

Captains log: 23/07/1911

I pray thee. Tis a night of horror and sorrow. The Hâll is lost. After another four days of warmer weather, we awoke to sailing between fragmented ice, broken off the shelf. The Hâll, taking the lead for the day struck a particularly large, sharp iceberg, halting its path and tearing a gash in the hull. As the Trøju looped back around, the Hâll had sank a few metres deeper into the water. Splintered wood and crates of food were floating in the water. I saw a few of the crew leaping into the water and clinging to floating driftwood. As my crew worked tirelessly to hook and finish out the crew of the Hâll, we conducted a head count. Of the 16 crew members, 6 were unaccounted for, presumed stuck in the belly of the ship as it flooded, 2 were dead, drowned and their bodies brought to the ship. As for the 8 alive, none of them are in good shape. They are hypothermic and delirious from the cold. Pray for their lives. And pray for the souls of our dead friends, their crew mates. As we watched the ship succumb to the sea that swallowed it, we fished the supplies and crates that did float out of the water. We are only a third of the way to Viktoria. I have decided to head the ship a little further north to avoid the breaking ice, in the hope that we remain unscathed.

Captains log: 30/07/1911

After a week, three of the Hâll’s crew that survived have died. The other five remain in a stable condition. Amongst them, captain Reilii. It was colder again this week, the ice tightening up again, making sailing easier. This place was treacherous at the best of times, teetering on the edge of winter, even more so.

Captains log: 27/08/1911

Two days ago we sailed into Ósfjøll relieved. We docked and started repairs, burying our dead in the city’s cemetery. After sending a telegram to Din Thi Di, we received a reply, telling of vast supplies and more hardy seamen that had arrived from Noremacia. Despite the tragedy of the Hâll, the Trøju had some how managed to make the voyage relatively unscathed. We aim to leave for Din Thi Di by the end of the month

Captains log: 01/09/1911

Yesterday, we set sail for Din Thi Di, where we would wait out the rest of spring until our South Pole expedition. Upon our departure we had learned that the Kanadorikan party had aimed to make landfall by the turn of the new year. It was my personal duty to see that we beat those Korki’s there.

Captains log: 22/09/1911

We happened upon Din Thi Di late in the afternoon. Surprisingly there was a small crowd gathered at the port to welcome us with mugs of ale and some small fanfare. The ship needs some minor thouch ups, however it’s in good shape overall. I think it’s become seasoned to the chilly weather down here. Plus, those Njornic ship builders know what they are doing. I took myself, not to the tavern this time, but to the inn, where for the first time in a few years, I slept from dusk till dawn. This morning I reflect on our trip so far, remembering my friends, those still trudging and those now lost. I will hand this ledger to a local printer to make copies to be sent back to Noremacia. And once again when I return, as first man to reach the South Pole.

Captains log: 02/12/1911

Today we set off in fanfare. Like a ship a new, we broke a bottle of the finest Vizelian champagne over the hull, and sailed away from a cheering crowd in the pier. The Trøju had set sail for the southern islands of Kanadorika, our last stop before the South Pole. It had warmed up here in Ezhara, and surely too in Edinland, although to beat the kanadorikans we would need to go early in summer, and there were still several perils that awaited us. Ideally we would embark later in the season, but the race was now afoot, by all recent news, we would reach the islands at the same time as the Kanadorikan party from Viktoria. Pray for us, for Noremacia. Bring us fair weather and fast sailing, and for these end of spring winds to hold their gusto.

Captains log: 24/12/1911

With the tides in our Gabor, we reached the Southern Kanadorikan islands in the morning, and like some crazy opportune timing, sailed into dock, about an hour after the Kanadorikan ship arrived. Varmi literally stood on the pier and waved us in, the cheeky bastard. It is after all Christmas eve. I would expect the kanadorikans to wait until at least the 27th to depart, our plan was to depart on the turning of the tides on the evening of Christmas itself, although I told Varmi we would depart on the 27th

Captains log: 26/12/1911

Last eve was utter chaos. As a few of us drank together and celebrated Christmas with the locals and the Kanadorikan party, the rest of us were making final preparations aboard the ship. We had learned that the kanadorikans had indeed planned to approach the pole from the ice shelf around the 30° longitude, whereas we had planned to approach from around the -130° longitudinal. It would be neck and neck. Both approaches had their ups and downs. As I was carrying supplies to the ship in the early hours of the morning, I peered across at the Kanadorikan ship, the Nÿuppgetvun, across the dock, and in the moonlight spied three silhouettes, carrying supplies to the Kanadorikan ship. The slimy bastard had the same idea as us. To give us the slip and leave in the early hours of the 26th. As I alerted the rest of the crew, word quickly spread and the village was abuzz with Kanadorikan and Noremacian expedition member, dashing around the town to gather last minute supplies and say their goodbyes to the locals. It was around sunrise when I spotted Varmi, making his way up the boardwalk to the Nÿuppgetvun. As he stepped onto the deck, with the sun rising behind him. We locked eyes From about 200m away, across the port, some kind of spirit came over me. I felt in that moment., connected to Varmi. One in the same, yet at the same time, opposites of parallel universes, like a mirror. I knew then. That the race had started. This was in. And this time we would win. As the winds picked up in the mid morning we both set sail south. And even as I write this in the afternoon, I can still spy Varmis ship, slowly shrinking to the horizon. As much as I wanted to beat him there, something felt eerie. I have this unfoundedly strange feeling in the back of my head, that this would be the last time I ever saw him.
Noremacia
Noremacia

Aotaruo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhi Dynasty Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Presidential Palace, Tangxian

To be invited to the Presidential Palace was the greatest of honours in our young Republic. While the overthrow of the hated Zhi had only taken place several years ago, we are the political heirs to centuries of struggle. The economy has been booming, and Tangxian, long neglected by the Weishun tyrants, is now earning the respect it deserves. The Palace was a syncretic blend of Kanadorikan Gothic styles, and native Michise architecture, with all the modern amenities that were lacking in the decrepit Zhijing Palace. The servants, dressed in western suits, escorted me inside, and instead of an antiquated kowtow or bow, the President, as the true representative of all peoples in Michu, smiled and offered me his hand. The equality of men demonstrated in a single sweeping gesture. The President was in his fifties, and despite his lack of military knowledge, his political ability to sway guaranteed obedience from all sectors of the country. He gave off a gruff, yet warm paternal figure, almost always smiling, despite the challenges he faced daily.

“Major Guxi Jiang, I presume?”
The President wore a pristine military uniform, adapted from the Imperial Army uniform, though more ornate, combining aesthetic traditions from the Kanadorikan Republic with that of Michise traditional culture. Golden decorations and military ranks lined his chest, as his smile disarmed any hostility. Truly, a majestic figure.

“Indeed, Mr President. It is truly an honour to serve our Republic.”
I responded with a salute in one arm, as I shook his hand with the other, the truest signs of equality between men. I, a soldier and commander of the army, and Jiang Sun, the President of the Republic, with the people’s will and consent. There was no power imbalance between us, between legitimate holders of authority, no greater than the people we serve.

“No need for formalities, you may call me Durei.”
Jiang Sun, in keeping with the traditions of the Zheng, employed Durei as his courtesy name. Initially, I was taken aback by this. I took a moment to comprehend, understand and respond in a formal tone.

“As you wish, Durei, sir.”
Durei placed his hand on my shoulder, as we walked together through the Presidential Palace. We looked around at the fantastic paintings of the philosophers who led us to this great period, military figures were lacking, however, due to the state of warlordism plaguing our society. We reached the President’s office, which looked like a secretary’s office, containing some calligraphy, showing his potent belief in the traditions of Michu and it’s people. As I looked around, I tugged on my collar, perplexed as to why I was summoned to this most holy of places. He took a seat, allowing myself to stand before him, before speaking more informally.

“My aides give me glamorous reports of the harvests, and the bustling markets, but the military situation is uncertain. How is the struggle against the Shaozi Clique?”
Now, my uncertainty vanished, I was clear in my purpose and my speech. Military matters have been pushed so far into my psyche since the beginning of training under the decadent Zhi, before our revolution. I embraced formality, as I spoke, with the courage invested in me by the people, and the soldiers I serve.

“Sir, after the repulsing of the Baozhen’s forces, they have been tending to their wounds. They maintain the overall military advantage in numbers and technology, however, their zeal is lacking. Beyond personal loyalty to Baozhen, his men are hungry, and the countryside is ravaged by their depravity.”
Baozhen’s forces were comparable to state run bandits. They plundered each village they took, stole all the men, and committed evils against the women, all for pay by a usurper. I spit on those who serve him willingly, and discourage recruitment from Shaozi ranks, unlike the other vandals in Yanxu. The President smiled and nodded throughout my explanation, and responded with a short, concise reply that illustrated his ambition and benevolent will to end this war.

“So is an attack on Zhijing Palace itself plausible?”
Zhijing Palace. The den of all evil, though the den has been evicted by Baozhen’s gang, the Snake-Emperor’s captive women continue to reside within its walls. Capture by Republican forces, followed by a swift, fair trial of it’s occupants and defenders would dramatically increase the legitimacy of the Republic. Sadly, it is not possible at this time, and I conveyed this to Durei.

“No. Their defeat last time required a temporary alliance with the Yanxu Clique, who endured the brunt of Shaozi’s aggression. If it’s not improper, I suggest a strategy of attrition. Bring the meek warlords into the fold, and crush the Yanxu Clique.”
An attrition based strategy would be hard on the men, we’d lose countless, vast seas of honourable warriors, though that is how war is fought now. The soft, and the unwilling, play their part in the factories or in homes. The President once more nodded, after some thought, no doubt using his elite analytical mind to calculate our potential losses and avenues of attack.

“An excellent strategy, Baozhen has military support, but the people are tired of his leadership. They clamour for the last vestiges of Imperial rule to come crashing down. However, this is not the true reason why I have summoned you today.”
My curiosity and doubt were again piqued, and I tilted my head, awaiting an explanation.

“Oh, Sir?”

“Your training in the Zhi Imperial Army demanded you serve in the reserved province of Guangbei?”
Guangbei was the northernmost province in Michu, it was covered in snow, frightful winters, and colossal mammoths. The Imperial regime required its new army to acclimatise to the cold, and to gain basic survival skills. As such, our regiments were stationed in the cold, dark ruins that harboured the evil Weishun culture. The President did not serve in this program.

“Indeed. Baozhen forced the old witch’s hand. The winters in that place were cursed.”
Until 1901, Guangbei was a ‘reserved’ province, meaning that it was only for those of the Weishun race to inhabit, though Baozhen, using his military authority, pressured the Snake-Emperor’s mother to end these ancient privileges.

“Then I offer you a chance to use such experience. With the capture of Huanglongjiang, the Republic now has access to the sea. We need to organise an expedition to the South Pole, as the Kanadorikans did.”
My eyes narrowed, the South Pole was never reached by anyone until the Kanadorikans succeeded a few decades ago. The President did not seem to be joking, and I probed him further.

“For what purpose would such an expedition serve?”
After my question, the President leaned in, and gave an explanation that would set my doubts to rest.

“The legitimisation of the Republican government as the rightful government of Michu in the eyes of the international community, particularly the Kanadorikans and the other Hezranans. The humiliation of Baozhen.”
The international community is central to the Republican war effort, their recognition of our status opens the door to military support, and economic aid. Securing our triumph over the evils that plague our nation. I gave a salute, and gave a firm answer.

“If it serves the Republic, it shall be done. Though I shall need equipment, and a mission statement.”

“The mission is to charter as much of the territory as possible, and plant a Republican flag. Dismissed.”
I would be proud to serve the Republic in this most noble endeavour.
Zhi Dynasty
Zhi Dynasty
Administrator
Administrator

Aotaruo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aotaruo Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:31 am

I never knew what it was like to be out at sea, so I was horribly unaccustomed to the temperature of the southern seas. At least I could feel thankful that the waters were calm, unusually so. I’m not sure what woke me up, perhaps it was the wind or the sound of water droplets splattering against the floor, but I did know I was hungry. I got up from my bed, and set foot onto the frigid, metal flooring of my sleeping quarters.

Suddenly, a gust of frigid air flew past me, blinding me for a second. Was that someone’s footsteps I could hear? “Hello? Is anyone out there?!” I said quietly, worried about waking the other expedition members, but the only response I was greeted with was the wailing southerly winds. Once again I called out, my voice growing louder and more anxious “Who’s there?”

The floor began to get colder, so cold, unbearably cold. I blinked, and when my eyes opened once more, I was surrounded by the white, blank abyss. I was panicking because I could feel my feet sinking into the snow that appeared below me. Finally, I heard a response, a familiar voice. Perhaps it was my own. “Don’t look behind. Don’t look.” It whispered to me.

“No… Not again…” I told myself, despite not knowing what was happening.

Then I felt the urge to look behind me, going against all my better judgement. And as quickly as the gust of wind came, the realisation struck me. I called out to the voice, “Dad?”

I turned around, as I always did, I couldn’t help but get one last look at him. I wanted to see him again. I wanted to see him one last time. I needed to.

When I turned, I saw a body lying in the snow, as I always did. I knew he was gone…

My eyes opened, and then I jumped out of my bed with my feet hitting the cold wooden floorboards. This time I was at home, standing next to the fireplace. As I looked into the furnace, what remained of the wood that once burned bright now lay flat and charred to the core, but deep inside the cracks on the logs surface, I could see the last of the glowing embers that remained. And once again I thought to myself, “He’s still out there, waiting for me… I just need to find him.”
Aotaruo
Aotaruo

Back to top Go down

Post by Treko* Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 pm

Colonel Leonov Rokossovsky, 1928, Expedition to Edinland, Biography

Colonel Leonov Rokossovsky, 1st Army, Brigade of the Duke of Kitzeh.

[16th May, 1924]: It's freezing here, something I'm used to, I guess, temperatures are -2 in the northern climate, the Army have sent me here on a training exercise, but I still cannot get any information as to what we were training for, I'm sure it's important, and I'll keep bugging these officers for information. Ill write to you soon Mary, Love Leonov.

[24th May, 1924]: Alright, I've got it, they finally gave me some damn information that's useful, I was stationed here with a couple of scientists and men, we had an objective, reach the southern white land mass of Edinland, haul a** there, plant a flag, study some rocks and temperature, then go back home. My subordinates seem to think that the Government is doing this to show off to the public in order to repair their image after that civil war with the commies. They're already starting training, and I need to shape up these scientists for what's to expect the wild ice continent, Ill talk to you soon Mary, Love Leonov.

[16th February, 1925]: So this is it, after a couple of months in the north, we're finally getting aboard a ship and sailing south, these scientists are carrying what they need, some temperature monitoring stuff, the ship also got rations stacked for us, some life saving equipment enough to last us an entire year in the South Pole, one of my Lieutenants, Kovich, says hi to you, can't wait till i get back home and kiss your warm lips, ill write to you again, love Leonov.
Treko*
Treko*

Back to top Go down

Edinland Exploration Empty Viaje Sonean Edinland

Post by Faded Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 pm

[July 17th, 1924]
I and my crew were sailing south to adventure the great cold said the royal family I was just hoping we would be home soon. We slowly saw in the distance a giant white landmass like nothing we have ever seen before then out of nowhere the air turned pure cold it was nothing we could have expected we stopped the ship and got into warm clothing and we set sail again as we got closer to the landmass. When we stepped foot on the new landmass it was nothing I don't think any Sonean has ever seen it was cold and baron the land crunched when we stepped on it.

"What even is this place." - Jesus Padrón when stepping first steps on Edinland

The crew decided it was better to contact the mainland and see what will happen. They eventually replied this was Edinland a pure Antarctic continent they told us that the royal family requested we explore it. We went deeper into the baron cold land a second team arrived with supplies arrived and we started setting up a base on "Edinland" we eventually decided to name the land we have set up a base on "Internalin" or Winterland

[November 12th, 1924]

We have fully set up a base and get supplies from the mainland at least once a month than on one trip from the homeland that they have finally made their claim on the Invernalia part of Edinland to the international community and that shipments will be more often we all quite enjoyed are time in Edinland it was a nice peaceful place a great relaxer to the chaos back at home we eventually named the first base "Sonean Winterland Base uno" we still have no clue if Internalin is recognized part of the kingdom or not

-Jesus Padrón Discoverer of Internalin and reginal governor (1924-1935)
Faded
Faded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down