Etharia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The End of an Era

3 posters

Go down

The End of an Era  Empty The End of an Era

Post by Kanadorika Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:27 pm

Ørjan Nordlie
Aurinkoinen, Lapeenkoski
Hameentra, Kanadorikan Empire
May 4,1893

Spoiler:

Aurinkoinen:

"You cock suckin' sunnuva bitch! I'll beat the shit outta you!"

The rest of the saloon paid no attention to the man's angry tone and continued along as if nothing happened. Probably used to the ruckus I supposed. The man at the piano still played along, as did the poker players towards the back of the building.

"Calm down there mister, I ain't sleep with no wife of yours." I replied in a calm matter, taking a drink from my glass.

The man wasn't pleased by my response and proceeded to drunkily pull a revolver from his holster, pointing it at my face. "You lying son of a whore! I'm gonna blast your brains from here to Novaya!"

"Listen partner", I said to him, swallowing another gulp of vodka, "I don't know where Novaya is, but you ain't gonna send me there, I can tell you that much."

Seething with rage, the man pulled the trigger, only to be accompanied with the sound of... nothing. Confused, he drew the hammer back and pulled the trigger again, with the same result.

I chuckled in response to his misfortune, standing up from my seat at the bar. "You drunken poor fool, your gun ain't even loaded."

But he refused to lose the fight that boiled inside him. He clumsily swung his left fist at me, though I was able to block it with my arm. I retaliated with a blow of my own, landing my fist on his right cheekbone, just below the eye. He staggered back a step, but quickly recovered and threw another punch, successfully hitting my chin. We continued exchanging blows until... a peculiar thing happened.

"Hannes Tuomela, What the hell are you doin'? Why's you fightin' like a goddamned animal?

We both paused our brawl to look at the saloon's entrance. A woman stood there, mid thirties and with a bust that equally matched her anger.

"Ah hell, maybe I did sleep with your wife," I laughed, patting the drunken bastard on the back as if we were longtime pals. "I can't remember who's who in this town no more. I guess I'll leave and let you two sort out your marital... err... problems."

And with that, I walked myself right out of the bar just in time to hear the man, Hannes, get slapped by his wife. I turned my head back one last time to see him knock her out in a single punch. As she fell to the ground, nearly the entire bar tackled Hannes. Truth be told, I did sleep with his wife, and I had no regrets about it.

Aurinkoinen was a small town in the middle of the Keskus Valley. The mighty Luminen Mountains stood distantly in the west, whereas the coast was several hundred miles to the east. Aurinkoinen was in the middle of nowhere, though a rail line connected it with other towns as well as the cities on the east coast. Between here and there stretched vast open fields of wildgrass and oak. This was big sky country, and the intense summer sun beat down on all alike.

The town itself had a population of several thousand people. While not particularly large, it was a very old town, among the oldest in the valley. The gold rush of the 50s brought in plenty of new residents, many of whom stayed after the gold craze was over and settled down in the sleepy town. The construction of the railroads too brought in the workers who built them, many of whom weren't even Kanadorikan by birth, but had found a new life in this country.

I didn't live here permanently, but it was my temporary home. It seemed these days I spent my time travelling from town to town, running from bounty hunters and the like. I was certain I would be found out here in the future.

Lapeenkoski was changing. Steam trains had already replaced the wagon trains of old decades ago. Now, electricity was all the rage. Newfangled electric lights already lit up the streets of Aurinkoinen. Mankind was infringing further and further into the realm of nature, converting pristine wilderness into petroleum refineries and agricultural fields. The world I knew was dying, and it seemed I just didn't belong in it anymore. The ever oppressive heavy hand of the law was civilizing these lands. Imperial rule was sweeping in like the ocean tide, unstoppable and relentless.

I made my way to my horse, wanting to avoid the attention I had drawn at the saloon. The fewer eyes I could have on me the better, though unfortunately I had the habit of drawing attention to myself through my own actions. I had long ago realized that changing my behavior would make my life a little bit easier, and perhaps make me welcome in various towns for longer periods than I was now, but change was not something I desired. I was the man I was, a man watching the world around him progress into the future while he stubbornly clung to the past.

A voice shot out from behind me, interrupting my inner thoughts.

"Mister Nordlie! Mister Nordlie! There's a letter here for you from the post office, it's urgent!

"A letter?" I asked the kid, despite figuring he likely knew as much as I did. "Hell, hand it over. Wasn't expecting mail. Nothin' this urgent either."

The kid placed an envelope in my hand, simply addressed with my name on it and the town name.

"Thanks friend, who knows how long it would have taken me to visit the post office myself."

As he walked off, I slid my finger underneath the fold and broke the envelope's seal. Inside was a folded paper, one whose hand writing I immediately recognized upon opening.

Ørjan,

It is with much regret that I am forced to deliver the most dreadful news to you. I am deathly ill, and fear I will not make it into the next month. The doctor says it is Typhoid Fever, and while I do not know the details behind this disease, I had been told that I have breathed in a miasma of toxic air, and thus here I sit, writing this letter to you in pain.

I have never seen this many people sick, Ørjan. The miasma has poisened half the neighborhood. They keep saying that this "modern science" is going to make life better for us, but I just don't know anymore.

Please come visit as soon as you can. You're the only person I have left in this dreary life. I love you my son.

With love from your mother,
Maria Nordlie

I was paralyzed. Typhoid fever? Sure Mother was older, but she had always been a healthy woman. After the death of Father and her two other sons in a carriage accident, Mother was forced to take on work herself. She was such a industrious woman, yet was too humble to admit it. An uneasy sensation of dread grew inside me. Mother lived in Piispa Henrik, a very large city alongside the coast. It was several hundred miles away and a train ticket was out of my price range. The only option I had to get to get to Piispa Henrik was Hova, my one companion in my new life and trusty horse.

I mounted Hova. Everything I needed to survive on this daunting voyage was already stored in her saddle bags. I merely rented a room here in Aurinkoinen, and with nothing of value within it, it was time to start the journey now.

"Come on girl, we got some ground to cover."
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

https://etharia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The End of an Era  Empty Re: The End of an Era

Post by Kanadorika Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Ørjan Nordlie
40 miles from Aurinkoinen, Lapeenkoski
May 4,1893

R Gevehr 1886 Repeating Rifle:

The sun had finally set beyond the horizon, drowning the infinite expanses of oak and grassfields in darkness. The drop in temperature was welcome, though the sweat which had previously saturated my clothes in the heat grew in its absence. Hova trotted along as we travelled the countryside, passing through the occasional settlement. Aurinkoinen was some 50 miles behind, and I figured it was time to settle down for the night and make it into the city of Riiska tomorrow.

I pulled Hova off to the right of the trail, venturing into the oak woodland several hundred feet or so before finding a suitable place to make camp. The spot was underneath the canopies of two mighty oaks, off the road but still within sight of it. I dismounted from Hova, inspecting the site personally. The soil was rich and healthy, consisting of the composted remains of fallen oak leaves. My boots sank slightly into the soil, indicating a recent rain had hit the region.

Satisfied, I hitched Hova to one of the trees and pulled my pack from her. It was dark, but I could see just well enough to make out what I was doing. After laying out my sleeping sack on the ground, I took to starting a fire and began searching for dropped branches and the like, placing them in a pile just next to my sleeping sack. I drew a match from my shirt and struck it. The surface of the wood was wet from the last rain, though after enough attempts it was able to light into a sustaining fire.

The heat was welcome on my cold skin, and when combined with the sound of popping embers and chirping crickets, I began to feel quite sleepy. I laid down on my back and peered through the branches at the stars above, my mind slowing until I had finally fallen asleep.

"Is that him?"

"The Hofnian sunnuva bitch?"

"I don't know, let's check it out"

"Shhhh... not so fuckin' loud, you'll wake him up."

I woke to the sound of voices coming from the road, realizing that the "Hofnian sunnuva bitch" was likely me. The voices spoke Hameentrish, but with an accent. Some sort of Eporean accent, though in my still drowsy state I was unable to pinpoint what exactly it was.

Then it hit. These were Trekkish accents. The men were Trekkish, and they weren't just any men, this was a gang. The Maslov Marauders  gang, which by the sound of it, had found me. I crept out of bed, silently approaching Hova and drawing my repeating rifle from its holster. I retreated into the darkness of the woods, being careful to not allow myself to cast a shadow from the still burning fire.

I was several dozen yards away, hidden from view but still able to retain a visual of the campsite. I gripped the repeater in my hands and watched as two Trekkish men approached Hova. They flickering campfire revealed dirty faces and raggedy clothes, the men's heads being both topped by derby hats. They were armed, with one carrying a double barrel shotgun while the other brandished a revolver.

The man with the revolver broke the silence, kicking rocks at the fire in frustration. "Where's he at? Ain't nobody here!"

"Probably takin' a shit in the woods or somethin'." The second man exclaimed while inspecting Hova. He rummaged through her saddle bags, though didn't appear to take anything.

"Well, should we go look for him?"

"Nah. There's grizzlies in them woods. I ain't gonna have my skull get chewed on by no beast. Let them kill him."

"Well shit. Let's steal his horse then!"

I had initially planned on remaining hidden throughout the entirety of the encounter in hopes that the Trekkish men would simply give up and turn away. But if they planned on taking Hova, I would be stranded out here with no way of reaching Mamma. I had to act now.

"Hey! You two better step away from that horse or I'll put lead through both of your skulls!" I threatened, drawing the rifle up and taking aim at the man with the shotgun.

The revolver man flinched with the unexpected voice coming from the woods. "Who the fuck said that? Come out you coward! Fight us like a man!"

crack

A bullet plunged into the forehead of my target, exactly as I had warned. The man's hat flew off as he fell to the ground, landing in a puddle of his own brains. I activated the lever, loading another round while the hot brass from the expended cartridge was flung into the grass.

The remaining Trekk with the revolver searched frantically for cover after watching his buddy's execution. He settled on an oak tree, making a mad dash and diving behind it for for safety.

"I'll get you for killing Andrei you filthy bastard! The Maslov Marauders won't take this lightly!"

I pulled the trigger while the man continued yelling obscenities, though only managed to hit the tree. Bark splintered from the impact and I racked another round. After narrowing down my apparent location, the Trekk fired several shots in return at my general direction with his revolver. He still couldn't see me, though the fire illuminated his position rather well. He hid behind the tree again, putting it between himself and the barrel. After several seconds, he popped out again to yell more obscenities.

"You coal shovelin' inbred Hofnian bitch! I'll find you! I'll lynch your ass on the tallest oak here I swear!"

I took the opportunity to fire another round. He winced in pain as the bullet shattered his right clavicle, but the Trekk still wouldn't go down.

"I'll kill you with one arm if I have to! Don't take no more than one limb to kill a cockroach anyway!" He screamed, overcoming the severe pain coming from his now non-functional right arm. He fired a few more rounds in my direction with his good hand before he expended the ammunition in his revolver. With one more pull of the lever, I was good for another shot. The Trekk desperately attempted to load his revolver with his one functioning arm, but was dropping ammunition onto the ground in his haste.

I slowly approached his position, the repeater aimed squarely at his chest. After closing the distance between us, the Trekk finally took notice of me, armed with nothing more than an empty revolver.

He called out for mercy, realizing the fight was over, but kept his dignity. "Don't shoot, please! For the love of God don't shoot, I have a woman!"

"A woman," I grunted, amused that the steadfast Trekk had been reduced to such a pathetic position, yet still acted like a man. "and does she know you're out here ridin' with the Maslov boys?" Up close, it became apparent that the Trekk was less a man and more a boy, looking 19 or 20 at most.

"No mister. I'm just trying to make some money for us! She's havin' a baby you see-"

I was unamused, and kept the repeater pointed straight at him. "I see. What's your name?"

"It's... It's Ivan. Ivan Antonovich, I-"

"Get the fuck out of here." I ordered, catching him off guard with my abruptness.

"...What?"

"Drop your gun and get the fuck outta here Ivan. I don't wanna ever see you with the Maslov Marauders again, 'cuz I will kill you. Got it?"

Ivan quickly nodded his head in agreement. "Yes! I will. Fuck those guys anyways, they plundered my last haul and left me with nothin'. Thanks mister, you'll never see me again I swear."

He dropped his revolver to the floor and made a break towards the woods. If his gang found out he betrayed them, they would hang him from a tree. He was running just as much away from them as he was from me, and the rest of his party couldn't have been too far from here. It was time to flee myself, before I found myself with more outlaws trying to hunt me down.

I paced back to the fire, searching the corpse of Ivan's slain buddy, Andrei. Inside his satchel were several dozen shotgun shells, which I looted, along side his shotgun. With both the repeater and shotgun in hand, I stored them on Hova and went back for my sleeping sack. With everything packed, I climbed aboard Hova and we trotted back to the main road.

Unfortunately, after only several seconds of travel along the road, an angry voice screeched out from behind me;

"It's that fucking Hofnian! He musta' killed Andrei and Ivan! Chase that bastard! Don't let him get away!"
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanadorika Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Ørjan Nordlie
40 miles from Aurinkoinen, Lapeenkoski
May 4,1893

Old shotgun:

"Ya! Ya! Le'ts get out of here," I yelled to Hova, spurring her on as she exploded into a furious gallop. Of course she wasn't aware of what was going on and frankly, neither did I. What I did know was that an angry mob was only just dozens of yards behind me. The curves in the road kept them out of sight, but the thundering of their hooves made their presence clear. I pulled the shotgun I had recently looted from its holster, breaking open the breech and loading a shell in each barrel.

Another voice rang out from behind me, seemingly growing closer despite Hova's best efforts to get away. "Yeah we're gonna skin you alive boy! Keep runnin'!"

I coaxed Hova on, caressing her mane in an attempt to get every bit of speed out of her. "Ya! Come on girl! Ya! Ya!"

The dirt road meandered aimlessly, curving through strands of oak while plowing straight through open grass meadows. The full moon was enough to provide a very soft illumination to the road, but thick groups of oak would block the light in some sections, making riding a bit of guesswork. The increasing strength of the sound of following galloping made any hope of avoiding the men without confrontation a lost cause. Any second they would pop into view, and with a straight away in the road just in front of me, I would have to engage. With the shotgun in hand, I turned my torso around as far as I could in the saddle and aimed the gun behind me. With my eyes off the road ahead, I was relying purely on Hova to follow the road. I cocked both hammers back and observed the first rider clear the bend, only two dozen yards away. I squeezed the left trigger first, shot exploding into the man's chest, quickly making him limp and throwing him off the horse. With a quick glance, too a look at the road ahead to ensure Hova wasn't about to run us both off the cliff, but she was doing a fine job of sticking to the trail. Returning my attention back behind me, I once again raised the shotgun back my shoulder and waited for another pursuer to come into range.

Yet nobody came. In fact, the galloping behind had ceased altogether, as if the pursuers had simply given up. Perhaps their buddy being shot dead had done enough to scare them away. I faced forward again, still grasping the gun in my right hand while Hova continued to gallop on, eventually slowing into a canter and from there, a trot. Once again the world that enveloped me returned to near silence, with only the chirping of crickets and the clip clopping of hooves being heard.

I stroked Hova's neck, a gesture of gratitude for her ability to stay calm even with the loud retort of the shotgun. "You did a swell job out there girl. Remind me that I owe you a carrot next time we're in town."

May 5, 1893

City of Riiska, Riiska County:

County Courthouse:

Riiska was a moderately sized city that served as a regional transportation hub for the local agriculture. It had neither the glamour of Piispa Henrik, nor the political clout of the cantonal capital, Pyhä Paavali, yet Riiska was probably the largest city I actually felt comfortable in. Not only were the streets wide and sunny, but the city was in a rural enough area that I was not totally out of place in the clothes I had worn out on the trail and fought in. Of course plenty of properly dressed gentleman still wandered the streets, waving their canes angrily at carriages that passed by too quickly, but contrastingly many farmers visiting town could be found as well. Two sets of tramway tracks lined the center of the road. These weren't the new electric trams I had heard about, but rather the trains were steam powered. Nevertheless to have any tramway at all was likely an accomplishment for Riiska, which probably didn't even need mass transit in the first place but rather wanted something to show off.

At the center of the town stood the courthouse and the public square. This was the most congested place in Riiska, and was where the citizens congregated for activities ranging from picnics to children's games. Multistory buildings flanked the open space, their signs identifying them as various hotels and brothels.  Given the sheer density of brothels here, it was unsurprising that prostitutes clamored on the sidewalks and would sensually reveal their legs at passing men by pulling up their dresses. Their act seemed to work, as I found myself hitching Hova just outside a joint called the "Come Right Inn".

"It won't be long Hova, just hang out here" I muttered to my partner in crime, the only female in my life other than Mother. As I dismounted from her, she seemed to give me a disappointing glance, her big eyes telling me 'Dammit Ørjan, not another whorehouse!'

"Yeah, yeah, I know girl. But I've also seen how you look at them stud horses. You're guilty too." With a pat on the head, I gave Hova a brief goodbye and set my eyes on the brothel. It was a four story building with a brick facade, unassuming on the outside but with an interior that made men men come in droves. I opened the heavy front door, and was greeted with a luxurious lobby. Gas lamps lit the velvet sofas and cherry wood tables. Placed immediately to the right of the entrance was a desk, where a fashionably dressed older woman awaited me. She wore a fur coat and spectacles, but the real eye catcher were the exotic feather plumes sticking out of her hat.

The Madam:

"Are you the Madam 'round here?" I asked the woman, knowing of nobody else in a whorehouse who would be so luxuriously dressed.

The Madam replied in an entirely professional matter. She exuded experience, hinting that she had managed this establishment for many years. "Indeed I am sir. Welcome to the Come Right Inn, where we have the finest selection of ladies to chose from," she said, reaching under the desk and retrieving a stack of photographs. "These women are today's offerings. Simply look these photographs and select your suitor for the night."

The Madam splayed the photographs out and I took a look at them. They took a resemblance to baseball playing cards. The womans' photos and names was printed on the front, whereas their measurements, age, and ethnicity were hand written on the rear.

Pauline
Ethnicity: Ninhundish
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 135 lbs
Breast Size: Medium

Annika
Ethnicity: Hvidovian
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160 lbs
Breast Size: Very Large

Xian
Ethnicity: Michise
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 103 lbs
Breast Size: Small

A Michise woman? Well thats somethin' new...

"Have you made your decision yet?" The Madam asked me. She was good, and was able to catch my choice in what woman I desired by eye movements and facial expressions alone.

"Yes Ma'am. Xian looks like a lovely lady. Can't say I've ever met a Michise woman, and I want to broaden my horizons.

"Ah yes Xian," The Madam said, gathering the photographs and putting them back under her desk. "Her Hameentrish is not the best and her Hvidovian is awful, but she's eager to please. 20ᛖ should cover her."

I dropped the coin on her desk. She responded to her payment with the slightest smirk. "You'll quite enjoy Xian. Exotic foreign women have an affinity for the Eyjanic man. They crave the civilized nature of a gentleman."

"Oh I don't know about civilized," I chuckled to the Madam. "I just get by I suppose."

"Ah yes. Well, we do appreciate your business here. Head on upstairs to room 3. Xian will meet you in there."

I turned to the stairs, but before I took the first step, the Madam mentioned one more thing.

"And, I don't believe I have to tell you this as you're certainly more polite than our... other clientele, but just be aware that I do have a shotgun under this desk here, and that any violence against my girls will not be tolerated."

"I understand ma'am", I said, beginning the trek up the staircase. "I'm just here for some fun."
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninhundland Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 pm

26 June 1893
Hallursvik, Geitland, Kanadorika

The journey had begun I packed my bags grabbed all my shit and got into the car. I had planned to meet up with the rest of my group as it wasn’t a short trip. It was time to show the world what we were great at. We we could do what we could make through our creativity and our imagination. For we were headed to Expo in Hallursvik. All the way into the Kanadorikan territory of Geitland. This was quite the adventure and was definitely an exciting one. I had no idea what to expect but my proud and excitement kept me in a very positive mood. Driving out of my home city of Dortmund, I watched as the city I called home started to fade slowly and slowly away. The automobile I was driving was one of the many amazing inventions that were to be shown off of this expedition. Beginning of a new era for mankind, the way to the future. I still have a long way to go with an over 10 hour trip, but over a decade ago this would not have been possible. Soon travel between cities will be easier, faster, more accessible and the world will become a much more connected place. This was my dream for the future and that by the mid 20th century all places will be accessible by anyone. This expedition was a testimony for that as the way of the future and technology showed. The sun was now shining down as it came out of the clouds. As the morning turned into afternoon the heat of the day was now felt. It wasn’t hot as it was only June, but at a nice room temperature around 20°C. I had to check my map several times as I had never been to Hallursvik before and had no idea how to get there. All I know is that I had to make it to the border.

Arriving into the city was an experience I would never forget. The stunning lights, electricity and modern esque buildings, it was all something new to me. Even Dortmund wasn’t this detailed, surely I thought this was just for show and not a regular occurrence as this was a special occasion. My eyes then caught sight of a statue it was all so impressive. Similar transportation vehicles were seen across the city. Was my dream really coming true? Are we really not that far off from a globalized post modern world for the 20th century. I stepped out and entered a large building. The building was crowded there must have been at least 10 thousand people and the crowded were immense. I can barely see 6 feet in front of me without someone being in the way. I certainly did not expect this event to be huge like this. I must find my group and set up. It was time to show the world that humanity was great. I was a strong believer in humanism as the philosophy promoted that humans can accomplish great things.

“We came here today to show what tomorrow holds us, this is a proud moment in the history of humanity, the future of our species and a step forward for mankind. We all come from different places, show off different things but we all share this one goal in mind. We must progress, we must dream, we must continue, we must work hard, we must come together to make the world a better place. For our children and grandchildren will live in a world very different where humans will continue to improve themselves and improve the world. The future belongs to us it only matter on how much we want to put into it. It is up to us to advance Etharia. That is what I believe in strongly, humanism is my strength that keeps me going and I hope it does for you as well.”
Ninhundland
Ninhundland

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Kanadorika Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanadorika Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 pm

Ørjan Nordlie
Piispa Henrik, Lapeenkoski
May 8,1893

Piispa Henrik:

The vibrantly natural colors of the valley gradually became replaced with a grey haze as I neared the city of Piispa Henrik. A layer of smog blanketed the atmosphere, hugging the surrounding hills and entirely filling up the sky. The closer I got, the blacker the sky grew, the emissions from tens of thousands of chimneys spewing coal smoke into the heavens eternally blocking out the sun. Industrial waste formed pools alongside the dirt road, killing off the plant life alongside the edges of the toxic sludge ponds. Piispa Henrik was the population center of Lapeenkoski, yet riding into the sordid city felt as if I were traversing into the depths of hell. I doubted that even hell itself was as disgustingly grimy as Piispa Henrik was. The Devil had to have some standards at the very least.

Traffic on the road became busier. We rode through the outskirts of Piispa Henrik, various detached houses and barns passing us by. My eyes caught the body of a beggar laying in a ditch alongside the gravel of the road. His ragged clothing was haphazardly patched together with the fabric of half a dozen separate garments, making him the most colorful sight around. Yet whether or not he was alive and sleeping or if that was his cold corpse I witnessed was a mystery to me, though not one that compelled me to stop and find out.

As I continued riding forward, I was drawn to another feature alongside the road. It was the decaying corpse of a horse, disposed of as if it were nothing more than rubbish. A stray dog tore into the horse’s abdomen, feasting on its innards in what had to have been its largest meal in a considerable deal of time. A growing uneasiness arose within Hova. She understandably became skittish as she trotted alongside the rotting remains of her equine brethren.

“It’s alright girl”, I reassured her, gently rubbing her soft brown ears. “That’s one of them city horses. They don’t live too long. The bad air ain’t good for their health. Hell, the miasma ain’t good for nobody.”

After some time, we finally entered Piispa Henrik proper. The scattered homes gave way to an oppressive array of block upon block of conjoined rowhouses. Their formerly brightly colored facades were yellowed by the toxic smog which hung over the city, further adding to the sense of anxiety I felt deep within my bones anytime I was unfortunate enough to be within Piispa Henrik.

All of my senses were screaming with the stimulation that came from just riding through the streets of a major city. Vendors cried loudly from the alleys, proclaiming to the world that they all offered tremendous deals on various products. The clanking of road going steam engines rang my ears as the vehicles sped by, pedestrians jumping to avoid being hit by the iron machines. Yet while the various sounds of Piispa Henrik were in themselves powerful, It was the absolute stench of the city which had managed to overwhelm me. The streets were covered in the manure of thousands of horses, piling up half a feet high in some parts of the road. Much of it was pushed towards the sidewalks by incoming traffic, though the wheels of passing buggies still managed to dig ruts through the layers of gunk. A consequence of the mounds of horse feces was that each step Hova made disturbed hundreds of flies, forcing the insects to fly up to my face and attempt to seek refuge on my skin.

Mother lived deep in the bowels of Piispa Henrik, within a dilapidated tenement that housed just as many rats as it did people. She was lucky enough to live by herself in her own apartment, a luxury I ensured for her with my own money so that she wouldn’t have to share a single room with several other families, as was the norm in the neighborhood. I yearned for a big score; something with which I could buy my widowed mother a decent house in the countryside, far away from this wicked town.

The buildings became taller the closer we neared Mother’s apartment. Electric trolleys zipped through the cobblestone avenues, often followed inexplicably by horsedrawn streetcars that contrasted greatly with their modern successors. On the sidewalks clamoured people of all ethnicities across the Empire, hustling about as they went about their lives. Above the racket of the city however my ears distinguished singing. The voices sounded young and cheery. The source of the jubilee manifested to my right as two young boys, aged about twelve, rounded the corner of a tenement and made their way towards me. They were adorned in Imperial Navy uniforms and skipped arm in arm down the streets of Piispa Henrik as if they owned the place.

Spoiler:

“With drumming guns and loads of rum, hi-ho, hi-ho!
We'll stick it to those loathsome ones, hi-ho, hi-ho!
From Akrifa to Anphilos,
We're sinkin' slavers off the coast!
Steam ahead, Let's give 'em dread!
A sailor's life will kill ya!"

From the lips of each boy hung a fat cigar that they puffed with more ease than men 20 years their senior. They paid absolutely no attention to their surroundings, their immense self confidence allowing them to not mind the pedestrians forced off the sidewalk by their skipping.

“The shells come crashing one by one, hi-ho, hi-ho!
The walls now trapping everyone, hi-ho, hi-ho!
What keeps them out shall keep us in,
All our ears bleed from the din!
Judgement's here, no need to fear!
A sailor's life will kill ya!”

I dismounted from Hova, intrigued by the sheer energy these lads exuberated. Clearing my throat in an attempt to ask them a question, I blocked their path so that they would be forced to heed me.

“Ain’t you boys a little young to be smokin them cigars? Where’d you get those things anyways?” When directly facing the boys I noticed that these weren’t cheap cigars they were smoking. These were luxury goods. “Who are you boys anyways?"

The rightmost boy was the first to talk, though he experienced some trouble in flapping his lips and keeping his cigar in place at the same time. It was a mystery how he was able to sing while puffing on that thing.

“Im Keijo. Keijo Sillanpää. My pal here is Birgir. He’s a ‘dovian but he’s still alright!”

“Uh huh”,  I nodded as both Keijo and Birgir inhaled their cigars simultaneously. “And what’s with that getup? Ain’t you a little old to be wearin’ sailor costumes?”

Birgir chuckled as if I were an idiot.  “Sailor costumes? You silly fool these aren’t costumes, these are uniforms! We are both midshipmen in the navy of his Imperial Majesty, Emperor Magnús the Eleventh.”

“I see”, I continued, amusing their over the top sense of ego. “What’s these lyrics about killiln’ slavers though? The Ninhundish quit doin’ that years ago.”

“Yes thankfully we were able to use the benefit of Kanadorikan naval power to encourage the Ninhundish to change their ways,” Keijo explained, using a tone that sounded as if he were actually there 50 years ago and wasn’t merely a child. “It’s the Eladistanis who are causing a ruckus now in Hezrana. Why, I can’t wait to get my commission and be stationed in Shaoliang. Those Eladistanis simply can’t be civilized sadly. They must be taught a lesson through overwhelming force like the dogs they are! I hear that it is very difficult for a trader to kidnap slaves when he’s in a noose!”

“I suppose I’ll take your word for it. I'm ‘fraid I don’t know much about what’s goin’ on in Shaoliang.”

“Yeah, it’s not good for civilians like you to get involved in these complicated international affairs anyways. That’s a job that His Majesty entrusts with us, the guardians of the Empire,” Birgir boasted, exhaling a cloud of smoke not unlike that of the many smokestacks which dotted the cityscape.

Not wanting to keep such vital men of the Empire distracted with my dillydalling, I bid them my earnest farewell. "I guess you boys better get goin' then. I'd hate to keep you from fulfillin' such important duties."

"Yes, wise move mister! We have much work to do that ensures the city of Piispa Henrik is kept safe! Can't have those dastardly Kuratan Marksists or Aztlani bandits showing up here! Please resume your activities civilian and heed no attention to us."

With that, Keijo puffed on his cigar once more and continued his gleeful skipping through the congested streets of the city while singing naval tunes with his buddy. As they bounced down the street, a startled elderly lady dropped a basket of fruit while she ducked out of their way. I watched as a watermelon rolled across the cobblestone under the wheel of a carriage, causing it to violently buck up and smash the melon, throwing off crates of cargo in the process. The boys were entirely oblivious, their voices carrying off into the distance.

"To dust your bones will slowly age, hi-ho, hi-ho!
Preserved within a metal cage, hi-ho, hi-ho!
Your corpse shall rot from here on out,
Your body gone, without a doubt!
What a world, your life unfurled!
A sailor's life will kill ya!"
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content