Etharia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Friendship Festival

2 posters

Go down

International Friendship Festival  Empty International Friendship Festival

Post by Kanadorika Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:55 am

Ailana Tioti
18 years old
New Bearroscīr
Maxima, Cynedryca

I had spent my entire life on Nanekai Island, an atoll so narrow that I had never been more than 1,000 feet from the ocean in my entire life. Life on the island was consistent and predictable.
Early this summer, I received a letter informing me that I was awarded a scholarship to New Bearroscīr University in Maxima. This was when I realized that my sleepy island life on an isolated atoll in the middle of the ocean would open up to a new chapter, one which involved adventure and discovery.

As I stepped outside of the airport terminal, the first thing I saw were metallic mountains of buildings, towering higher than anything I had ever seen before. Their windows glistened in the light of the rising sun, reflecting brilliant rays like monstrous jewels. As my eyes focused I made sense of my immediate surroundings. Runways stretched into the horizon on both my sides, being ultimately surrounded by lush greenery and the sapphire blue waves of the bay.

Walking outside was a mistaken turn, but the impression New Bearroscīr made was perception changing. The ever expanding city bristled with life with hundreds of highrise buildings standing tall like groves of coconut palms. Maxima was still an island. Yet Nanekai was my entire universe growing up. Compared to the atoll, Maxima may as well have been the continent of Hezrana in size.

The sheer scale of the city was only one thing. Perhaps the biggest shock of all was the mass of humanity clamoring throughout the terminal. The sheer variety of skin tones and fashion styles was greater than anything I saw back home, where shorts and flip flops were suitable for any occasion. The amount of people was almost uneasy. So many total strangers; faces I had never seen before nor would I ever see again. It was almost hard to recognize that these were in fact entirely unique individuals, all who had their own personalities and stories to tell. But it was all foreign. Yes, Maxima and Nanekai were ultimately in the same country, but aside from the same black, white, and blue flag flying in both places, they might as well have been from a different world. Other than tourists, everyone on the atoll looked the same.

I scurried back inside. A flurry of Widonian and Ashian language signs pointed in every direction, making it difficult to determine just where the metro was.

Foodcourt…. Customs… Parking…Metro Connection

I froze in place, almost having passed the sign altogether. That was it! The metro! Just to the right!

I made a quick turn, my luggage skipping several inches into the air before clanking back onto the tile of the terminal floor. A staircase descended into the depths of the earth ahead. When I approached it, I realized that this was no ordinary staircase; it was moving! I had seen these automatic staircases in movies and cartoons before, but we didn't have them in Nanekai. As I placed my feet just before the lip of the moving steps I felt a bit intimidated by the speed of the machine. The last thing I wanted was to take a step and tumble down into the Metro station below. The only thing encouraging me to hasten my approach was the fact that a queue of impatient travelers was growing behind me.

So I took the step, grabbing onto the rubber handrails on either side with all my strength. As the machine moved down my luggage was yanked down with it, falling from the lip of a step onto the step below it. I struggled to maintain my belongings and a chuckle sounded out from the man just above me.

"First time on an escalator?" He grinned. The man spoke an odd dialect of Widonian. He was understandable, but it took a moment to process his thick dialect and rearrange his words into a coherent sentence.

My face heated up with a blush and all I could bring myself to was a nervous stutter "Ehh?" This was my first personal interaction with someone in what would, for the next four years at least, be my new home. The impression I was making on those around me was ridiculous and the thought that they would always know me as the "clumsy-can't use an escalator girl" was not something I particularly sought to intend.

"Take the elevator next time. It's easier," the man recommended. I was too terrified to make eye contact but I could tell that his grin softened into a more genuinely supportive smile "T-thank you s-sir," I stammered, still fidgeting with my luggage.

I immediately felt my feet get caught up, nearly throwing me forward onto my face. I quickly regained my balance, discovering that my ride on the escalator had come to an end and that I should have stepped onto the solid concrete ground ahead. Once again blushing, I pulled my luggage off the rotating steps before they rolled underneath the escalator.

The escalator's terminus led to a large room that made a turn to the left. Up ahead, on the back wall, sat several pairs of machines, their signage indicating that tickets for the Metro could be purchased here. I approached one, punching in a button to wake the machine up. Displayed on its LCD screen were several language options:

ᚠ: Widonian
ᚢ: Ashian
ᚦ: Branderlandish
ᚩ: Zheng
ᚱ: Vizelian.

With a push of the ᚠ key, a new menu appeared.

What would you like to purchase?

ᚠ: One way ticket
ᚢ: Round trip ticket
ᚦ: Pass

I opted for a single ticket. The screen prompted me to select the number of riders. After selecting for just the one, it displayed a total of ᚠ1.00 owed and I tapped my phone onto the device. A paper ticket printed and fell into a slot below and I continued on my way to the main station.

The metro station was shaped like a large tube. The platform ahead was situated in the middle of a pair of tracks on each side. Each one displayed the direction of travel and a name on a digital sign.

I had little clue as to which one would take me to my hotel. Puzzled, I opened up the navigation on my phone. This station served a lime green line; the Airport Line. Gōgol Maps informed me that my hotel was in fact close to the Airport Line, with Grand Terrace Station being the nearest. Yet I could not tell for the life of me if I was supposed to get on the right or left tracks.

Swallowing my pride, I asked a woman sitting on the concrete bench next to me. "U-uh excuse me, Ma'am. Do you know how to get to Grand Terrace Station?"

She was elderly, reminding me slightly of my grandma. Her wrinkled face suggested timeless generosity. She appeared not unlike how most women her age dressed, proving that conservative clothing was a staple of grandmas across the world.

"It will be the train on your left, dear." She pointed to the corresponding tracks with her cane before setting it back across her lap.

"Thank you, Mrs-"

"Ōswaru. Just call me Ōswaru," she politely said with a welcoming expression."

"Yes. Thank you, Mrs. Ōswaru. I've never been on one of these trains before."

"You're from the islands, aren't you dear? Are you by any chance Atuonian?" She asked, the warmth on her face never dissipating. I was admittedly taken aback by this. To the people of New Bearroscīr, Aotuona and Nanekai probably didn't even exist. The entire Commonwealth of Atuona had a population of 120,000. For someone here to so easily discern my place of birth was nothing short of remarkable.

An outburst of energy sprang from me.  "Yes! Yes I am! This is my first time away from the islands!"

Mrs. Ōswaru nodded, sharing in my excitement. "Nanekai is a lovely place. I've never been there, but my father has. He has told me how generous and kind your people were! He always wanted to return to your little atoll."

This nearly swept me off my feet. "This is fascinating to hear! We don't get many tourists, at least not compared to other Sirenian Commonwealths like Saint Sabina, but I am honored that your father found my home so great!"

"Dear," the old woman began with an amused chuckle, "my father didn't go to Nanekai as a tourist. Far from it in fact. He was a Marine with the 2nd Division. The last thing he wanted then was to land on the atoll, but well, he didn't have much of a choice."

"Oh my God! Your dad liberated our island?" I asked, the excitement causing me to rapid-fire my words. "Even today, all these decades later, every single one of us knows the story of the Battle of Nanekai! It's like, the most important event in our history!"

Mrs Ōswaru took delight in the fact that to this day we so appreciate the sacrifice made by her father and his fellow Marines. "Oh yes. Papa fought gallantly that day. That is, before an artillery shell blew off his leg.

A constant shrieking came from the tunnel to my right. As it grew louder, a sudden blast of air blew into my face. headlights appeared, followed by a train that stopped at the platform. Its doors opened and passengers piled in.

"Oh no… I'm sorry to hear that your father suffered on our island. He truly is a hero to all of us." I combed my hair back into place with my fingers, it having been blasted by the rush of air from the oncoming train.

"Don't be sorry dear. Father may have lost a leg, but he found something far more important on that island."

"What's that, Mrs. Ōswaru?"

"He found love. Fell in love with a woman who brought him fresh fruit daily in the hospital. Just weeks later the two married. Nine months after that? I was born!"

"Wait! You're half Aotuonian? You are the first person I have ever met here! What are the odds?"

"Yes," the woman fondly replied. "My mother and father moved back to Pacifia when he was discharged. I've never been to Nanekai, but it has always been a dream of mine to visit my ancestral homeland."

This conversation was, simply put, extraordinary. The loneliness of moving to a new land was overpowering and while I anticipated a new chapter in my life, I nearly broke down in tears on my flight. Mrs. Ōswaru, while never having even been to Nanekai, still reminded me of home. She brought just a little bit of comfort to my mind.

The screeching returned, this time to my left. Once again my hair was blasted by the oncoming air being pushed out of the tunnel.

"That's your train dear. But before you go -"

She reached into her purse and scribbled on a piece of scratch paper, tearing it off and handing it to me. "Have this. If you ever get lonely, give me a call. I understand just how you feel. After all, I was once new to New Bearroscīr as well!"

I took the slip of paper and stuffed it into my pocket, almost taken aback by her generosity. I wasn't expecting to make a friend so quickly. "Thank you so much! I will call you Mrs. Ōswaru! I truly hope we can see each other again!"

"Anytime you're feeling all alone in the big city. But just one more thing! I never caught your name dear."

"It's Ailana!"

"Well Ailana, you better catch your train before it leaves. It was a pleasure to meet you."

"A pleasure for me as well!" I merrily responded. I rushed towards the train, my luggage flailing behind me and waved to Mrs. Ōswaru. "Goodbye!"

Nothing prepared me for the absolute madness of riding a subway. As soon as I passed the open doors I realized that the car was packed full. Every seat was occupied and almost all standing room was taken up. I had to insert myself uncomfortably close to several other passengers just to allow the doors to close. The train then took off with a sudden jolt, nearly knocking me off my feet into the people beside me. I practically hugged the metal pole I stood next to; it was all that was stopping me from falling into another person's lap. The PA system cracked to life, delivering an automated message. "Our next stop will be Ealdtūn. Please ensure all belongings are secure. There is no eating or drinking on any NBMS trains. Ealdtūn is our next stop."

….

The next several stops were a blur of people coming and going. It felt like an eternity, but they finally announced Grand Terrace over the PA. When the train stopped, I unboarded and found myself facing my old nemesis; the escalator.

Nevertheless, I had prepared. While boarding the revolving steps I lifted my luggage into the air to prevent it from snagging or falling on me. For the next 30 seconds I was carried effortlessly into the sunlight above, taking a large step off at the top like I was a pro.

My first glimpse of the city from the street level was breathtaking. Onauti, the town where I was from, was not only the largest "city" on Nanekai, but it was by far the largest in Aotuona. To me, Onauti was a metropolis with 60,000 people. Yet compared to New Bearroscīr? It was nothing more than a fishing village. Ahead of me was a busy street, lined with trees and filled with automobiles and buses. Tall buildings formed a wall on both sides of the road, each one taller than anything I had ever seen before. The sound of cars driving past and honking, combined with countless unintelligible conversations from those on the sidewalks made the entire scene an assault on the senses. The weather itself seemed close enough to that at home being warm and humid, but despite the sunny skies, the buildings cast shadows on the entire street.

It was almost too much for me. Without the infinite horizon of the ocean immediately visible, claustrophobia kicked in. There was too much happening. Too many people, too many cars, and too much noise. Yet despite the auditory assault I could not hear a single natural sound. No birds chirping. No waves crashing on the shore. Nothing but modern technology and the people using it.

The Hytūn hotel was just across the street. It was a magnificent structure with a neutral colored facade of gray and white. The bottom floors were covered in glass and consisted of luxury shops that opened into the street. Without hesitation, I ran across the road, weaving between traffic. Cars honked and several people even yelled angrily at me. One voice could be heard over the others, shouting "Are you an idiot?"

I made it to the other side confused. I was just crossing the street? What was the big deal? I had done this thousands of times before back home and had never gotten this reaction. Regardless, I shook it off, making my way inside the hotel.

Prior to seeing the Hytūn my perception of a "luxury hotel" was the orange three story monstrosity in central Onauti. Yet walking into here I discovered that the most prestigious hotel in Nanekai could fit comfortably in the lobby of the Hytūn. Inside the lavishly furnished modern interior was every amenity imaginable: a cafe, several restaurants, shops, a bar and plenty of other hotspots that attracted customers in droves. At the eclipsing it all was a massive desk on the hind wall. As indicated by a sign this is where I was to check in.  

"Hi! My name is Ailana Tioti! I have a reservation here."

The desk attendant punched letters on her keyboard. "Give us just one moment Ms. Tioti while we search for your reservation… ah yes here you are. May I see your ID, please?"

I dug through the front zipper of my luggage and retrieved my wallet, pulling out my ID card. I handed it to the attendant who put more information into her computer.

"Thank you Ms. Tioti. I will need just one more thing from you. May I see your passport please?"

"My passport?" I questioned perplexingly "U-uh I don't have a passport…"

"I am very sorry Ms. Tioti. But international travelers from foreign countries must show a passport while checking in. I am afraid we cannot book your room."

"F-foreign? I'm not foreign! I'm Cynedrycan! Look at my ID, it says my place of birth is the Commonwealth of Aotuona! See?"

The attendant now looked even more confused than I was. "Forgive me Ms. Tioti. I will be right back!"

She hurried away from sight into another room. After several minutes she reappeared, a rather embarrassed expression on her face.

"I am so sorry Ms. Tioti. Please, forgive my mistake. I have never received a customer from Aotuona before and my ignorance got the best of me. To make up for this we will provide you with a one bedroom suite; at no extra charge to you!"

To me, the mistake was minor and not something I would have dwelled on. But to receive a room upgrade over it? It was too much, but I couldn't turn it down. "Thank you very much ma'am. I will accept the upgrade."

"Excellent! Here is your key!" The attendant pulled the cap off a permanent marker and wrote on the envelope. "Your room is 32-103; on the 32nd floor. The elevators will be to your left. Thank you for staying with us at Hytūn."

The elevators admittedly felt exhilarating, like being inside a rocket. While I had ridden on elevators before at Onauti hospital, this was like a roller coaster in comparison. When it lurched upwards I felt like I weighed 500 pounds and was almost disappointed when the ride ended.

After exiting the elevator and meandering a bit through the halls, I found my room. The inside was the most luxurious space I had ever seen and looked more like an expensive apartment than a hotel room. At the rear, furthest from the door and past a sofa and table was a large window. Leaving my luggage in the hallway I ran to it and peered out, observing the commotion of the city below. It all reminded me of the little crabs we would come across at the beach at home, scurrying in every direction without a sense of logic to them.

Next, I found the bedroom. I flopped down on the largest, fluffiest bed I had ever seen, sinking down into the plush mattress. I laid there for a good 15 minutes, finally relaxing after the stress of flying and navigating through a city.  

Then it occured to me. School wouldn't start for another month. My family worked hard to pay for this hotel for a month before my dorm opened up. Plus, I had extra money on the side for fun and entertainment. What was I going to do with all this free time?

On top the nightstand sat a magazine, Fun in New Bearroscīr!. I picked it up and studied the cover. It displayed a gorgeous fireworks show on the water over the headline "The International Friendship Festival is Back!"

The International Friendship Festival…

I didn't know what that was, but it sounded like a blast. After settling into my hotel room and getting some rest, I promised myself that I would check out this festival. After all, I deserved it!
Kanadorika
Kanadorika
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

https://etharia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

International Friendship Festival  Empty Re: International Friendship Festival

Post by Thenagach Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:49 am

Marinus Roland
27 years old
Bouquelon International Airport, Bouquelon, Thenagach
2:35 AM

"Now boarding, Flight 343 to New Eoforwic, Gulland"

Through the haze of my sleep and the pain in my neck from the airport seating, I heard the announcement. I thought this trip was going well at first. I had boarded in Heerlandt on time, with the expectation of a short stop in Bouquelon. Now where was I? Five hours behind due to weather with nothing to look forward to but eight more hours in coach in the godforsaken sky.
I queued behind the rest of the poor saps in the coach line. My seat was near the back. Safer? Yes, technically, which is why my mother insisted I buy it. Why she still had any pull in my life, I'll never know. I guess I'm just a pushover. But she was paying for this trip... Well, her new boyfriend was. as I stood there, regretting all my life decisions, I pulled out my phone. It was going to be a long wait. There were at least 100 people in line ahead of me and as many behind.
I opened the Squeaker app on my phone and commenced doomscrolling. The latest update had ruined the experience. Disgusted, I put my phone back in my pocket and looked absently around me. The terminal I was in was a fairly new building. Well, I should say, it had recently been renovated. (Looking back now, I must still have been tired. it wasn't all that great, like they had painted over a few cockroaches.) Everyone around me looked tired. Everyone, that is, but a short man wearing what looked like safari kit. He saw me looking at him and said, "Right mate?" in a thick Gullie accent.
"Huh?" I blinked and realized I'd been staring
"Fackin take a picture. It'll last longer"
"I'm sorry, I'm tired. You're from Gulland, right?" The man looked at me like I had mud for brains, which wasn't entirely inaccurate, given my somnolent state.
"Nah yeah, mate. Right in the middle. Outback as they come".
"Oh. This will be my first time in Gulland", I replied.
With the proverbial ice broken, conversation followed, eating up the twenty or so minutes until we boarded the plane. At this point, conversation was cut short, as the man, whose name I learned was Wilfrið, (or Wizza, for short) sat about ten rows in front of me. Disappointed, I took my seat and put my headphones on for the long flight ahead

Mother, I hope you're happy. Sending your only son to some island in the middle of the ocean has to be one of the best rouses you've ever dreamed up.
Thenagach

Back to top Go down